Thursday, September 16, 2010

From Lunches Fit for a Kid

Recipes: A Menu in Honor of Roald Dahl

I don't know how many of you all read my Adventures in Readingblog, but we love Roald Dahl.  Love.

I didn't hear until this morning on NPR that it was his birthday.  Oops.  So, no lunch festivities.  Oh well.

So, I made a dinner in his honor.
Oompa Loompa coins, Boiled Slobbages in tomato sauce with cheese, Charlie and the Chocolate Milk
James and the Giant Peach Cobbler with Snozzberries

First off, Boiled Slobbages.  I modified this from a recipe I found online, and it's from James and the Giant Peach, I believe.

Basically, they are spaetzle.

And they are super fun to make and delicious!  I will be making them again for sure.  Might just call them spaetzle next time, though...  I served them with plain jarred tomato sauce and cut up string cheese.  You could be more creative.  I wanted my kids to eat them.  It worked.

I also made Oompa Loompa coins, which were crinkle cut carrot coins, boiled briefly in lightly sugared water.

To drink, we had Charlie and the Chocolate Milk.  I know, how creative of me.

And, for dessert, we had James and the Giant Peach Cobbler withSnozzberries.  Those would be raspberries for the uninitiated.

Onward, to the recipes!


Boiled Slobbages in Tomato Sauce

Dough
2 eggs
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 c flour
1/4 c skim milk
1/4 c seltzer (optional - can use all milk.  The seltzer makes them fluffier)

To boil: 
2 c chicken or vegetable broth
4 c water

To fry:
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter


For sauce:
1 c  tomato sauce (can make homemade)
3 sticks string cheese, cut up

Combine the ingredients for the dough together well.  Let rest for about 10 minutes.

In a large pot, boil broth and water.
This part is fun
Pressing the dough through
Filling up with slobbages

Using a spaetzle maker or a collander, press the dough through holes into the boiling liquid.
My pot was a little too small
Stirring.
Boil for about 2-3 minutes, or until they all float, stirring occasionally.
Into the cold water!
Remove from the boiling liquid and submerge in a bowl of cold water for about 30 seconds.  This keeps them from sticking.

Heat oil and butter in a large frying pan.  Saute the slobbages briefly in the pan.
The string cheese got all melty before we ate. Mmmm.
Stir in sauce and pieces of string cheese and serve.


James and the Giant Peach Cobbler with Snozzberries

1/2 c butter
3/4 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 c sugar
1 pinch nutmeg
3/4 c skim milk

1 28-oz can sliced peaches in light syrup
1/2 c snozzberries (or raspberries, if you can't find snozzberries)

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Melt butter in the oven in a 9"x9" pan.

Combine all remaining ingredients except for the fruit.  Pour over the melted butter (do not stir).

Pour the snozzberries and peaches over the top (do not drain).
Ready to go into the oven

Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the crust has risen around the fruit and is browned along the edges.

(Of course, I forgot to take a picture of it all baked and not scooped out)
Happy Birthday, Roald Dahl!

No comments: